Pournami Pooja Vidhi Pournami Vratham Mantra for Purnima Vrat
Importance of Pournima Pooja:
Pournima Pooja- The full moon day that falls every month according to the lunar calendar is known as Pournami / Poornima. Every month can be divided into two equal parts of fifteen days known as Shukla Paksha and Krishna Paksha. The first slot of fifteen days is known as Shukla Paksha. On the last day of Shukla paksha falls the full moon night which is called Pournami / Poornima. The second slot of the last fifteen days of a month is known as Krishna Paksha, and on its last day falls the Amavasya, the no moon night.
A full Moon appears when the Sun and the Moon are separated by 180 degrees. On this day, the Moon remains a well-illuminated full disc, causing high tides. It is only on Pournami days that lunar eclipses occur.
Many important Hindu festivals fall on this day, which are celebrated by observing a full day fast on this day. Prayers are offered to like Lord Vishnu along with other gods or Lalitha tripura Sundari Devi or shiva based on people’s believes and traditions.Chant these stotras for blessings of god/goddess Vaishnavam stotras or Shaivam Stotras or Ganesha Stotras or Shakteyam Stotras.
Astronomy in line with the Vedas describes the waxing & waning of the Moon has certain effects on mental health, physical health and diseases, such as changes of behaviour, change of moods, heaviness, etc. So, keeping a fast on this holy day brings many health benefits as well as prevents the body from many health disorders.
Check Here also Amavasya Puja Vidhi
Here are some of the facts that signify the importance of Poornima in Hinduism and ceremonies observed on this day:
Why poornima is considered auspicious?
- On this day moon completes one cycle around the Sun, which symbolically marks the end of a chapter in a person’s life.
- Even though Poornima falls every month but the most auspicious ones are Kartika, Magh, Sharad, Guru, and Budh Poornima.
- If any grant occasion like a wedding, the birth of a child, purchase of a new house, etc. has taken place in a family or community, many people thank the good lord by performing Shree Satyanarayan Puja on this day, which is believed to benefit all the people involved.
- In srividya upasan.As per Vedic astrology, people born on Purnima are said to be more intelligent and possess an attractive personality.
Full Moon fast:
Purnima pooja and Fasting Rules:
- Wake up at Brahma muhurtha (4 a.m-6 a.m). This period of the day is called the “hour of Brahman “by the Rishis. The early hours of the morning are fully charged with prana or vital energy. This vital energy is needed by the body to nourish the cells and activate the six mystic energy centers of the body through meditation.
- Take bath before 6.oo a.m and wear clean clothes.
- Clean the Puja Room and the altar where you are going to do the pooja. Clean the surroundings of home.
- Do away with useless chatter and observe periods of silence to go within.
- Full Moon is also an ideal time to pray for our pithrus or ancestors for their deliverance.
- Many people also believe that Goddess Lakshmi visits the banyan and peepal tree on this day. An incense stick is lit under the tree with sweetened water and a sweet dish, which can later be distributed as Prasad, along with prayers to seek her blessings.
- People also like to hang mango leaves at the entrance of their house, shop, or office as they are considered auspicious and attract the blessings of gods.
- Lord Shiva is also offered bel leaves along with honey, raw milk, sandalwood paste, and other fruits and sweets on this day.
- To seek blessings of the Moon God to help maintain peace and a happy marriage, married couples can also offer milk to the moon.
- If you are one of those who cannot carry out these practices, a simplistic chanting of ‘Om’ on this day shall also benefit.
- Many people also like to begin their auspicious works on the occasion of Poornima as they feel that on this day they can be guided better by Gods as they (Gods) are more active on this day.
- Fasting on this day helps improve metabolism and cleanse the body systems. The full moon day is also symbolic of eliminating darkness to help us gain wisdom and illumination.
- As per the Hindu mythology, on this holy day, a devotee should perform a havan on this day, to praise Lord Vishnu, Lord Ganesh, and Lord Chandra for a blessed, healthy, protected, and wealthy life. Thus, celebrating Purnima vrat from sunrise to full moon rise is helpful for spiritual, physical, and economic upliftment beyond expectations.
- One must not eat anything except for fruits and milk during the day. Fasting helps to reduce the acid content in the system, reduce the rate of metabolism and increases endurance. One should avoid salt, rice, pulses, wheat and grains.
- In the evening, when the Full Moon appears on the sky, one should have a sight of this moon and then break the fast.
- One should offer fresh flowers and fruits to the Goddess at home and light a lamp. Offerings of sweet milk pudding or rice pudding should be made to the Goddess.
- Betel leaf if available can be placed in front of the Goddess. Sanskrit mantras from Lalitha Sahasranama can be recited on this day to earn immense merit.
- An offering of kumkum should be made to the Goddess while mantras are recited. Kumkum is a symbol of auspiciousness.
- After the prayers, arati should be shown to the Goddess to receive her abundant blessings.
- On this day, charity can be done to the poor by feeding them or gifting clothes to the needy.
- A poornima fast will bless one with wealth, health, abundance and longevity.
Srividya Upasan Pournami Pooja Vidhi:
OM GANESHAY NAMAH – Do Aarti of Lord Ganesh if you have his idol or photo otherwise imagine on your 3rd eye.
OM SHREE GURUBHYO NAMAH – Prayer to your Guru and ask for permission and blessings to carry out this vrat.
OM RISHIBHYO NAMAH – Prayer to all 7 Ascended Masters and Siddhas Thirumoolarji to bless and guide.
Now take water from the copper pot IN RIGHT PALM and WHILE reciting the Marjan or purification mantra pour water on the idol, photo or yantra and then on the pooja items and then on yourself
“OM APAVITRO PAVITRO VAH SARVAVASTHAM GATOAPI VAH YAH SMARET PUNDARIKASHAM SAH BAHYA ABHYANTARAH SHUCHIH”
Now light a lamp and say the following Mantra once it is lighted:
“OM LAKSHMI KAROTU KALYANAM AROGYAM SUKH SAMPADAM MAMA BUDDHI PRAKASHAM CHA DEEP JOYOTIR NAMOSTUTE”
Take in your left palm some Akshata (Yellow rice previously prepared) and put the left palm on the right knee and cover it with right palm and say the following.
“OM ADYA SHUBHA DINE SHUBH MUHURATEY SHRI MAHATRIPURASUNDARI SHRI RAJARAJESHWARI PRASAD SIDDHYARTHAM SHREE UPANG LAITHA VRAT KARISHAYE”
Now do Aarti of Photo/Sriynatra/Idol and you can quietly say your heart’s desire after this to Goddess Mother.
Offer Flowers, Akshata, Sandalwood Power, Sweets, Lighted lamp, Incense sticks to Mother(Full moon is in the form of lalitha Tripura Sundari).Stand in the below of full moon rays and Chant SriVidya mantras(Check the link) or You can chant any Mantra likeAuthentic Devi Khadgamala Stotram Given by Sringeri Peetham (Thousands years old unprinted in books) or Sri Lalitha Trishati Stotra Namavali or Sri Lalitha Moola Mantra Kavacham or Lalitha Sahasranaman orPowerful Nitya Devata Mantras orSri Lalitha Chalisa or Manidweepa Varnana From Devi Bhagavatam orManidweepa Varnana with Meaning and Pooja Vidhiof Goddess Maa now if you are initiated by a Guru. Otherwise Prayers are fine.offer Milk to the full moon(lalitha Tripura Sundari).If you do this producer with great devotion and dedication for every Pournima, goddess will appear in the milk.
To end Pooja you need to ask for forgiveness by this mantra:
OM MANTRA HEENAM KRIYA HEENAM BHAKTI HEENAM PARAMESHWARI YAT POOJITAM MAYA DEVI PARIPURNAM TADASTUME” – Please forgive any sins committed during this pooja.
Now submit to Divine mother using the following Mantra:
OM SARVAM SHREE LALALITHAMBIKAYEI ARPANAM ASTU
OM SHANTI SHANTI SHANTI
On Sunset the same procedure is to be followed except you need not take the Sankalpa and after you are done with the Pooja you need to distribute sweets to 5 unmarried Girls as they represent Balatripurasundari Maa. This is a mandatory requirement for the Vrat the and one doing the Vrat should not consume food unless 5 unmarried girls eat sweets. So a day before you should invite at least 5 Unmarried girls and tell them about the vrat you are undertaking. There is no harm if more than 5 Girls turn up but at least 5 are a must. Regarding Age of the Girls they should be between 2 and 10 years and not less or more.
Names of different Purnima Vrat:
As per the lunar calendar, there are 12 full moon nights falls in a year and many of the Hindus celebrates Purnima vrat on this auspicious day. Fasting on Purnima (Full Moon) is considered highly religious and auspicious. Here is the complete list of Purnima Vrat-
1. Chaitra Purnima – April (Check here Chaitra Purnima Vrat time)
2. Vaishakh Purnima – May (Check here Vaishakh Purnima Vrat time)
3. Jyeshtha Purnima – June (Check here Jyeshtha Purnima Vrat time)
4. Ashadh Purnima –July (Check hereAshadh Purnima Vrat time)
5. Shravan Purnima – August (Check here Shravan Purnima Vrat time)
6. Bhadrapad Purnima – September Check here Bhadrapad Purnima Vrat time
7. Ashvin Purnima– October (Check here Ashvin Purnima Vrat time)
8. Kartik Poornima -November (Check here Kartik Poornima Vrat time)
9. Margasirsha Purnima – December (Check here Margasirsha PurnimaVrat time)
10. Pushya Purnima – January (Check here Pushya Purnima Vrat time)
11. Magha Purnima – February (Check here Magha Purnima Vrat time)
12. Phalguna Purnima – March (Check here Phalguna Purnima Vrat time)
Mantra for Purnima Vrat:
The day of Purnima or Full Moon holds a great significance, as per the Hindu mythology. Our very own Upanishad’s and Puranas explain that reciting the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra and Chandra Gayatri Mantra on this auspicious day is extremely important to receive divine blessings from God.
Om Tryambakam yajaamahe
sugandhim pushtivardhanam |
mrityormuksheeya maamritaat ||
Meaning:We worship the three-eyed One, who is fragrant and who nourishes all. Like the fruit falls off from the bondage of the stem, may we be liberated from death, from mortality.
Chandra Gayatri Mantra:
Om Padmadwajaya Vidhmahe |
Hema Roopaya Dheemahe
Tanno Chandra Prachodayat’||
Meaning:Om let me meditate on Lord Chandra who has a flag of lotus.
He shrines in the brilliant color of gold. Let Lord Chandra illuminate my mind.